Bruno Fernandes has given his seal of approval for young talent Anthony Elanga.
Elanga has been training with the first team on and off over the past few weeks, and has travelled to Roma tonight.
With United leading from the first leg by four goals, there is a chance he gets brought on to make his debut.
Fernandes says Elanga has made a good impression, and he is not the only one who has take note.
He said: “
He is impressing everyone because he is a really nice kid. Quiet, works hard.
“He is really good on the ball, plays with both feet. So he has a future.
“If he puts his head focused on what he has to do and what he can achieve, I think he has a future with us.“
Elanga has been a standout player for United’s under-23 side this season, scoring two goals on Monday night against Derby.
He is up to 11 goals for the season with a further four assists, and these figures would be even higher if he had not missed three months of the season with a collarbone injury.
Elanga signed a contract extension earlier this year too and there are high hopes for him.
His pace makes him a difficult player for opponents to defend against and he can score with both feet, netting with each his left and right in the win over Derby.
Fernandes’ comments are both a confidence boost for him, and a challenge for him to step up. He won’t make the comments lightly.
The next few weeks could see a first team chance come his way even if he is not in luck tonight.
The Sweden youth international has made strong strides this season, having been with the under-18s last campaign. To end it by making his first team debut would be a dream scenario.
- Luke Shaw is the strongest player in the England squad, says Three Lions teammate
- Paul Pogba blames the heat for France’s disappointing Euro 2020 performance against Hungary
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position
- Former Leeds fan favourite spotted wearing Manchester United shirt
- Three reasons Manchester United should avoid Sergio Ramos signing