Ferdinand compares Lukaku and Ronaldo after United return confirmed
Rio Ferdinand certainly played his part in Cristiano Ronaldo’s return to Manchester United.
He got involved and has praised United’s hierarchy for how they’ve done the deal.
Ferdinand has spoken on BT Sport about the level he feels Ronaldo is still at.
He has suggested that Ronaldo remains better than former United striker Romelu Lukaku.
“You saw Ronaldo’s levels last season. Chelsea bought a striker for £96 million,” said Ferdinand, referring to Lukaku.
“Yes, different ages, different profiles but Cristiano Ronaldo outscored him in Serie A last season.
“That tells you the levels that he’s at. He’ll come in and score goals. And more importantly, at the training ground and around the club, there isn’t anyone better equipped to show them how to win at United.
“He’s the man for that.”
Ronaldo is in the twilight of his career and Lukaku is in the prime of his. He has also been considered a gamechanger for Chelsea in the title race.
Ronaldo’s goalscoring prowess is such that he still scored more than Lukaku last term.
That’s despite the fact Inter had a team capable of winning the league and Ronaldo’s Juventus came fourth.
Ronaldo got 29 goals, compared to Lukaku’s 24 in the league. If Lukaku is a gamechanger, Ronaldo certainly is and the pair will now resume their battle in the Premier League.
- Bruno Fernandes gives verdict on goal Ronaldo claimed and hails 'special moment'
- Bruno Fernandes upstages Cristiano Ronaldo in World Cup win v Uruguay
- Manchester United star admits he's not yet physically 100% fit; hopes to build up fitness during World Cup
- Neymar hails Manchester United star as 'best in the world'
- Flying Manchester United loanee’s season plunged into fresh uncertainty