Facundo Pellistri was the breakout star as Manchester United beat Derby County 2-1 in pre-season.
The Uruguayan seized his opportunity in an overdue appearance, scoring the goal which ended up being the winner.
Pellistri latched onto a through pass from Shola Shoretire and rounded the goalkeeper confidently.
Speaking after the game Pellistri told MUTV: “I entered to the middle asking Shola for the ball, he saw me really well, I control it, and when I saw the goalkeeper I tried to run one way and score.”
Pellistri’s confidence rounding the goalkeeper was not a surprise. He scored a goal like this for United’s under-23 side in the EFL Trophy against Accrington last season. That was one of three goals he netted in seven appearances.
What is next for Pellistri?
It is probable Pellistri will head out on loan. But his preference is to stay put at Manchester United next season.
The 19-year-old explained: “I went on loan to Alaves. I feel good, I am here trying my best.
“I am always pushing to work. I would like to stay here, but I am working hard improving and will continue.”
United are heading off on a training camp next week and Pellistri will be part of it, before next Saturday’s friendly game at QPR.
It is great to hear Pellistri’s confidence and desire to be a success at United. He is under contract until 2026 so there is no rush.
United are likely to take the view that Pellistri will benefit from a loan where he can play 30 games as opposed to staying at United and only getting very limited minutes.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told The Mail: “I can see a loan deal for him, there’s been loads of interest and for his best interests a loan would be what we look for.”
Pellistri can try and change Solskjaer’s mind over the next few weeks of course.
The trouble is the competition out wide now from Jadon Sancho, Mason Greenwood, and Amad. Pellistri is a talent in his own right and he hopes to fight for his spot. He might just be better equipped in a year or two.
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move
- Manchester United friendly at Preston cancelled
- Rafael criticises Glazers’ failure to communicate with United fans
- Raphael Varane’s last appearance at Old Trafford was a painful one for Manchester United
- Who is reported incoming Manchester United youth addition Ethan Ennis?