Facundo Pellistri says he would like to stay at Manchester United
Facundo Pellistri was the breakout star as Manchester United beat Derby County 2-1 in pre-season.
The Uruguayan seized his opportunity in an overdue appearance, scoring the goal which ended up being the winner.
Pellistri latched onto a through pass from Shola Shoretire and rounded the goalkeeper confidently.
Speaking after the game Pellistri told MUTV: “I entered to the middle asking Shola for the ball, he saw me really well, I control it, and when I saw the goalkeeper I tried to run one way and score.”
Pellistri’s confidence rounding the goalkeeper was not a surprise. He scored a goal like this for United’s under-23 side in the EFL Trophy against Accrington last season. That was one of three goals he netted in seven appearances.
What is next for Pellistri?
It is probable Pellistri will head out on loan. But his preference is to stay put at Manchester United next season.
The 19-year-old explained: “I went on loan to Alaves. I feel good, I am here trying my best.
“I am always pushing to work. I would like to stay here, but I am working hard improving and will continue.”
United are heading off on a training camp next week and Pellistri will be part of it, before next Saturday’s friendly game at QPR.
It is great to hear Pellistri’s confidence and desire to be a success at United. He is under contract until 2026 so there is no rush.
United are likely to take the view that Pellistri will benefit from a loan where he can play 30 games as opposed to staying at United and only getting very limited minutes.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told The Mail: “I can see a loan deal for him, there’s been loads of interest and for his best interests a loan would be what we look for.”
Pellistri can try and change Solskjaer’s mind over the next few weeks of course.
The trouble is the competition out wide now from Jadon Sancho, Mason Greenwood, and Amad. Pellistri is a talent in his own right and he hopes to fight for his spot. He might just be better equipped in a year or two.
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace
- Dani Alves has given backing to Manchester United target with £340m release clause
- Manchester United still scouting wonderkid three years after Old Trafford trial, 2023 earliest deal possible
- 'It will not be long'… Patrick Kluivert raves about Manchester United linked Antony
- Lingard and Elanga lead reaction as young Manchester United striker announces departure
- Triple sale would be a ruthless way for Erik ten Hag to start Manchester United's summer