Ex United talent Regan Poole gets first international call, months after release
When Manchester United announced the list of players to be released in June, we identified Regan Poole as the one most likely to make the club regret the decision.
Poole had 68 professional appearances, of which one came for United in the same Europa League game against Midtylland under Louis van Gaal in which Marcus Rashford made his debut and scored twice.
Last season he starred as Newport County reached the League Two play-off final, and there was quite a scramble for his signature.
He joined League One side MK Dons and has quickly established himself as a regular starter.
Now he has been called into Ryan Giggs’ Wales squad for the first time, BBC Sport report.
Was just a matter of time
Poole’s Wales call-up was inevitable, he had been a regular for the under-21s and had captained his country at that level.
Now he will be competing for a centre-back spot, the position where he has been playing regularly for MK Dons this season.
He has played nine times for the club in total since moving, providing two assists.
Giggs has shown an openness for Wales to selecting players from the lower divisions, perhaps out of necessity.
Credit to Poole for earning his call up. He has a bright career ahead of him despite being let go by United.
And like Rochdale’s Oliver Rathbone last month, perhaps Poole’s and United’s paths may cross again one day.
- Nemanja Matic tells Manchester United fans an absolute diamond is coming through who has surprised him
- 21-year-old striker confirms Manchester United exit on Instagram
- 'Monster' ex Manchester United centre-back used to demand to train 1 v 2
- Manchester United transfer target nicknamed 'the butcher of Amsterdam', he shut Haaland down
- Manchester United loanee backed to 'score lots of goals' under Erik ten Hag