Eric Bailly could be out injured until next month
Were it not for injury, Eric Bailly would likely have played for Manchester United against Paris Saint-Germain last night.
With Harry Maguire out, and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer switching to a back three, the Ivorian would have hoped to start in the Parc des Princes.
Unfortunately for Bailly, for whom injuries have blighted his Old Trafford career, he was sidelined.
As it happened, it handed an opportunity to Axel Tuanzebe, another Red Devils defender who has struggled with his fitness in 2020.
He played on the right of that back three and offered a timely reminder of his quality.
Bailly watched on, and after the game the Manchester Evening News offered an update on his injury.
They claim Bailly has a muscular injury which will keep him out until after the November international break.
That’s another blow for Bailly, who just needs a run of games to get his fitness together and impress Solskjaer.
The good news for Solskjaer is Tuanzebe looks set to step in, having proved his own fitness last night.
United need a central defender with good recovery pace to partner Harry Maguire.
Bailly and Tuanzebe both fit the bill, but at the moment, it’s the latter who is the only one in contention to start.
United’s first game back after the November internationals is on 21st November against West Brom.
That’s exactly a month from today, and Solskjaer will hope Bailly can be fighting fit by then after yet another injury setback.
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe's Chelsea pledge to invest £1.75bn over 10 years gives Manchester United fans tantalising glimpse of what could be
- Manchester United 'confident' of clinching £60 million Casemiro deal
- Manchester United ready to go toe-to-toe with Barcelona to sign 19-year-old Frenchman
- Cristiano Ronaldo's potential last hope of a Manchester United exit emerges
- Report explains what specific attributes have attracted Manchester United to Casemiro
- Gary Neville says Manchester United have a player who can be the 2022 version of Roy Keane
- 'Little bit': Ryan Lowe provides fitness update on Manchester United loanee Alvaro Fernandez
- Report: Manchester United have now offered big-money four-year contract to sign midfielder admired by Busquets
- Report: Manchester United now want to sign PL star Sir Alex Ferguson was linked with British record swoop for