Manchester United’s FA Cup win at home to Liverpool was an encapsulating evening of football.
United certainly could have defended better for Liverpool’s two goals, but top teams will often make you pay.
What was really positive about this game is that unlike the Carabao Cup defeat to City, United did the business at the other end of the pitch instead.
Mason Greenwood, Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes were all on target, with the Portuguese maestro netting the winner from a free-kick.
Fans missed from a happy occasion
It was down to goalkeeper Dean Henderson to point out the day’s only down-note. The stand-in stopper celebrated the victory on social media – but pointed out that it would have been so much better with fans.
Henderson is right. Old Trafford would have erupted when Bruno Fernandes curled in his late free-kick winner.
It is bittersweet to enjoy such a big moment and not have 76,000 supporters there in person to witness it.
Unfortunately there does not appear to be any prospect of this changing in the immediate future. The whole season could end up being played behind closed doors at this point.
Henderson knows what it means, as an academy player, to come through the ranks and get one over on our bitter rivals. He will be motivated to kick on and experience this feeling again in the future, with the roar of fans behind him.
- ‘Absolute scandal’… Gary Neville rages against proposed European Super League reports and Glazers
- Three big positives from Manchester United’s win over Burnley
- What channel is the Man Utd v Burnley Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Three key questions as Raphael Varane to Manchester United links ramp up
- Youngster Malachi Sharpe undergoes first Manchester United academy training session
- Manchester United U23s deservedly beaten by ruthless Manchester City
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Burnley
- Haaland has shown why Manchester United need to sign Sancho as a priority
- Dylan Levitt reaches Croatian Cup final on loan at NK Istra