Lost among the outpouring of joy at Old Trafford on Sunday was David de Gea’s superb performance.
De Gea ended last season in wretched form, his worst since he joined the club.
Playing for years behind a declining defence had appeared to finally take their toll on him.
Against Chelsea on Sunday he looked to be back to his best, already.
The De Gea we recognise
United’s new look defence looks confident, with Harry Maguire and Aaron Wan-Bissaka helping to keep a clean sheet.
De Gea really played his part in the 4-0 win, making an excellent save with his feet from Ross Barkley in the first half.
The Spaniard was a commanding presence, making seven saves in total.
Getting him back to top form is so important. We know at times he can be a one-man wall.
Now he has a four-man wall in front of him and can reach new heights.
Amid the attention paid to the new signings, Pogba, and Rashford and Martial, De Gea’s efforts went almost unnoticed.
Sunday was a fantastic sign for the season ahead.
Now would be a great moment for United to announce his long awaited contract extension…
- Rio Ferdinand reacts to Manchester United’s 1-1 draw
- Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial’s performance
- Joel Pereira makes good first impression on Hearts debut
- What went wrong against Wolves before and how can United avoid it?
- Viv Anderson calls on Manchester United to sign James Maddison