Dan James made his tournament debut for Wales in their opening group game of Euro 2020.
James was a starter for Wales in their 1-1 draw with Switzerland.
The tricky winger made life tough for Switzerland in the first half but Wales’ problem was not managing to get him on the ball enough.
James managed only 27 touches of the ball before he was substituted on 74 minutes.
The speedster looked frustrated to be taken off with the game on the line, but his impact was beginning to wane.
James created two goalscoring chances, floating in an early cross for Kieffer Moore which the striker headed at goal. Both of these key passes came in the first half.
Switzerland also resorted to cynical tactics to keep James quiet. He was fouled three times, more than any player on the pitch.
Speaking after the game, manager Rob Page told BBC Sport’s live coverage he felt James looked exhausted by time he was taken off and wanted to save him for Wales’ two remaining group games.
Page added: “‘DJ was disappointed coming off but he’s great in the dressing room now and it’s all about the squad.”
Wales face Turkey up next and then face Italy in their final group game.
James was the first Manchester United player to feature at Euro 2020.
More follow later today when Marcus Rashford and Luke Shaw’s England take on Croatia at Wembley.
Manchester United players at Euro 2020
- Marcus Rashford, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Dean Henderson
- Scott McTominay
- Bruno Fernandes, Diogo Dalot
- Paul Pogba
- David de Gea
- Dan James, Dylan Levitt
- Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit