Cristiano Ronaldo sends message after scoring goal number 799 in United win
Cristiano Ronaldo maintained his record of scoring in every Champions League game this season after netting the opener in Manchester United’s 2-0 win against Villarreal.
The 36-year-old’s goal was his 140th in the Champions League and his 799th career goal for club and country.
He also ensured he kept up with the competition’s current top goalscorer Robert Lewandowski, who also netted on the same night and took his tally to nine goals from five games.
United’s number seven has six goals from his five Champions League games this season.
With our last 16 place confirmed, Ronaldo will have at least two more games to extend his record as the competition’s all-time top goalscorer.
Following the 2-0 win in the El Madrigal, Ronaldo sent a message to the Manchester United fans on Instagram.
With Michael Carrick winning his first game in caretaker charge following then departure of club legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, attentions will now turn to facing Chelsea on Sunday.
Carrick will be hoping Ronaldo, his former teammate, can transmit his clinical goalscoring form in the Champions League over to the Premier League.
With the game against Unai Emery’s side a nervy and cagey affair, Ronaldo was the coolest man in the stadium to lob Geronimo Rulli following good work from Fred.
Ronaldo will be hoping that this victory galvanises his team mates and sets them off on a long winning run.
- Who is the 26-year-old World Cup midfielder Manchester United reportedly want to sign?
- Manchester United wonderkid 'not in any rush' to return to Old Trafford, says manager
- £30m Ghana sensation credits Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag and explains Red Devils snub
- 3 Juventus players Manchester United could target – including 20-year-old sensation
- 'Weak point'… Neville slams World Cup star, says Manchester United ace would do better job