Could Manchester United sign a new midfielder early if Matic is sold?
According to 90Mins, Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic could be on his way in January. So what would that mean for the current playing squad?
The report claims Matic is under consideration at newly minted Newcastle. But United are unlikely to let him go unless they have a succession plan in place.
Matic may be a fading force, but United are short on midfielders as it is. If they lose the Serb in January, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be left with just Scott McTominay and Fred to play the holding role.
Here are three things that could happen if the £40million signing does leave Old Trafford in the next window.
Van de Beek comes good
Many United fans are desperate for Donny van de Beek to find a place in the starting XI. He is certainly not going to usurp Bruno Fernandes. So is a role further back the answer?
The Dutchman certainly feels he can do a job there. And, if Matic leaves, Van de Beek could get a few more minutes in the starting XI.
Youth gets a chance
United have some very exciting youngsters coming through.
James Garner should be the long-term beneficiary once Matic leaves. However, in the short term, Hannibal Mejbri could get a few more games if his more experienced teammate moves on.
The dream scenario
What United fans really want is a new quality holding midfielder. Whether that is Ruben Neves, Aurelien Tchouameni or someone else, the best case scenario is bringing in a new addition in January.
Early season form has proved what supporters already knew: United need more strength in midfield.
Matic leaving for a fee could give United the push to move earlier than next summer for his replacement.
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss