Manchester United return to Premier League action today following their EFL Cup exit at the hands of West Ham.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has named his starting 11 for the match against Aston Villa at Old Trafford.
The big news is Edinson Cavani is back on the bench, as Solskjaer goes back to the team which won at West Ham
Starting XI: De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Fernandes, Pogba, Greenwood, Ronaldo
Substitutes: Heaton, Lindelof, Dalot, Lingard, Sancho, Matic, Van de Beek, Martial, Cavani
This is going to be a difficult game and Villa caused United problems in both of the meetings between the sides last season.
Here is how Dean Smith’s side will line up, without on-loan United defender Axel Tuanzebe and injured duo Leon Bailey and Morgan Sanson.
Smith has used a 3-5-2 formation of late and it looks like he’s deploying that again here, with Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings up front.
Cavani has taken Juan Mata’s spot on the bench, and Victor Lindelof has replaced Eric Bailly among the substitutes.
Dean Henderson made his comeback on Wednesday night but Tom Heaton remains on the bench ahead of him.
Paul Pogba will be on the left of midfield again, with Mason Greenwood on the other flank and Cristiano Ronaldo through the middle.
None of the players who started the West Ham EFL Cup clash are in the starting XI here.
- Five substitutes rule change would benefit Manchester United whoever is in charge
- Manchester City out of Carabao Cup: Did Manchester United miss out or have lucky escape?
- Three steps Solskjaer can take to avoid bowing out like Jose Mourinho
- Manchester United’s players pictured back in training
- Raphael Varane’s possible return would be Manchester United’s best case scenario