Manchester United face Burnley tonight looking to get back on track after the 2-0 defeat at Anfield on Sunday.
That match against Liverpool was opened up by a Virgil van Dijk header from a corner, as United conceded from a set piece again.
And Burnley’s physical, imposing side will look to exploit that weakness, which has been a problem all season.
What has Matic said?
Nemanja Matic has spoken to United’s official website ahead of the game and referenced set pieces as a way Sean Dyche’s side might try and get a foothold in the game.
He said: “Physically, they are very good. They are a strong team, all big guys, especially on set-pieces where they are very dangerous, and also with long balls and second balls.
“We know all that so we have to be fully focused in every situation and not allow them to have any chances.”
United need to tighten up
United have conceded as many goals from set pieces as any side in the Premier League, with their tally of eight the same as relegation contenders Norwich and Aston Villa.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer seems to be persisting with a system of smaller blockers trying to slow down the taller players on opposition sides – but it’s not working.
Sunday’s example was as marked as they come, when van Dijk just strolled forward and scored a goal which undermined Solskjaer’s gameplan.
Burnley whip in crosses from wide as dangerously as any side in the Premier League and will be prepared to sit in and try and take their chances on the break and with set pieces.
United must rapidly tighten up from dead ball scenarios or that weakness will cost them dearly once again.
- Report: Ralf Rangnick recommends Manchester United sign star who is 'streets ahead of Maguire'
- Manchester United star at risk of missing clash with former side following injury setback
- 5 things which have changed since Manchester United were top of the league one year ago today
- Manchester United's most exciting attacking player must make key change to his game
- Report: Europa League club linked with January swoop for yet another Manchester United player