Bruno Fernandes will wear Manchester United's number 18
Bruno Fernandes will wear Manchester United’s number 18 shirt.
Number 18 was recently vacated by Ashley Young, who was sold to Inter Milan.
PA Sport’s Simon Peach posted a photo of Fernandes with his new shirt, from the midfielder’s Instagram feed.
It had been suggested Fernandes could take the number 16 shirt from the departed Marcos Rojo, as he wears the same number for Portugal.
Another obvious choice was the number seven shirt, which is officially assigned to Alexis Sanchez, but like Rojo, he is out on loan.
18 gives Fernandes a little less pressure than seven, but expectation will be there regardless.
Fernandes told United’s website he intends to be a winner.
Asked if he had a message for supporters, the midfielder responded: “Winning. I just want to win. I live to win and I want to win every single game. My message is I am here to help and I hope we can celebrate a lot together.”
He hopes to start this weekend up against Wolves at Old Trafford and he could train with his new United teammates today for the first time.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out