Bruno Fernandes creates 10 chances in one game: Positives despite penalty miss
Manchester United star Bruno Fernandes missed a late penalty against Aston Villa to compound a truly miserable day.
Fernandes’ spot kick miss ensured United lost 1-0 after a late Kortney Hause goal minutes earlier.
This is a game Fernandes would rather forget in a hurry. But it was one where despite the penalty miss, he also set a personal best.
10 chances created
Fernandes did his best to get United up and running against Villa’s resolute defence.
He created 10 chances in total, more than he has ever managed in a single game for United. His previous best was 8 against West Ham last season.
But just like his own efforts, United’s players snatched at chances, lacking composure.
Mason Greenwood had eight attempts and landed just two on target. Ronaldo had four efforts and missed the target with each one.
And Fernandes himself had six attempts on goal including his penalty, and missed the target with each of them.
Fernandes’ numbers were inflated a little extra than usual after he took over corner duty with Luke Shaw going off injured in the first half. But United’s teammates could not get the job done.
The high numbers won’t bring a cheer for Fernandes. He will be feeling miserable after missing just his second penalty in a Manchester United shirt.
There is a chance he loses spot kick duty to Ronaldo too. His goalscoring numbers will go down if that happens. He has four so far this season.
Villarreal difficult for Fernandes
Fernandes will hope to start for United against Villarreal next week, but it is not guaranteed.
Solskjaer will want to ensure he is mentally focused and not too agitated after his penalty miss.
Villarreal were stubborn opponents in the Europa League final and Fernandes got no joy out of them.
It is possible that Jesse Lingard’s movement creates more problems for Villarreal’s rigid yet effective defence, with Fernandes potentially on the bench.
- Deal close: Manchester United hope to finalise £69m De Jong move by end of the week
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing