Brandon Williams highlighted his uncertain future with New Year message
Brandon Williams is a player facing an uncertain second half of the season. He has barely featured in 2020/21 so far, having been pushed out of the first team picture by Alex Telles’ arrival.
There is interest from clubs in England and abroad in taking him on loan. The Telegraph report Bayer Leverkusen and Newcastle United are keen, with Sky Sports also reporting interest from Southampton.
Williams for now appears to be in the dark. The message he sent out to mark the year turning 2021 highlighted his uncertain future.
The 20-year-old referred to the year ahead as ‘a mystery’, while adding he is ready for whatever comes at him.
Playing in more than 30 first team games in 2019/20 including three semi-finals, you could argue Williams over-achieved.
His downturn in fortunes this season has been quite wild; he has been given just six minutes of Premier League football.
Amid a dip in form for Aaron Wan-Bissaka, there is a case for United to experiment more with him at right-back rather than spend money on another player at the position.
Whatever comes his way, Williams will have to seize the opportunity. His self-belief and work rate led to him getting a first team chance last season combined with talent and opportunity through injuries.
Williams has a long career ahead of him, and he will want to prove he can do that as a Manchester United player, even if he ends up needing to take a step back to take two forward.
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season