Midfielder Aidan Barlow left Manchester United in June 2020 but did not find a new club.
He had trials with Stoke and Ipswich but spent the 2020/21 season as a free agent.
Yesterday, Barlow’s arrival at Doncaster Rovers was confirmed. He impressed on trial with the club during pre-season, scoring five goals in three games.
Speaking to club media after the move was announced, 21-year-old Barlow shared how thrilled he is to have signed.
“I’m delighted. It’s been a tough year for me out of the game so it’s been difficult for me,” he said.
“I’ve just had to keep my mind to it and keep working hard. Obviously, I’m very grateful for the opportunity here and I just can’t wait to get started.
“I’d say I’m a technical player, I like to get on the ball and play the one-twos and link up with players.
“Obviously I love to score goals – I love scoring goals.”
Barlow mentioned the tough year he experienced after being released and spending some time out of the game.
Angel Gomes, who Barlow played with in the United academy reacted to the news with some effusive praise for the midfielder.
He also referenced the challenges Barlow has had to overcome and is happy his former teammate has now got his chance in League One.
Hopefully Barlow can kick on and have a really productive season in the third tier.
- Manchester United stars including Ronaldo respond to Bruno Fernandes
- Teammates react to 17-year-old’s three assists with Ronaldo comments
- Ethan Laird is one of the Championship’s best dribblers
- Greenwood petrified Villa but he lacked composure at crucial moments
- Varane leadership crucial ahead of first United Champions League start