Instant reaction as Manchester United draw 0-0 at Alkmaar
If you naively expected a free flowing performance from Manchester United against AZ Alkmaar then you were left disappointed this evening.
The Red Devils had to really dig in against a well organised Dutch side to grind out a 0-0 draw. It was not very entertaining at all.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer selected a very experimental line up, picking youngsters Brandon Williams and Angel Gomes from the start.
Dan James and Mason Greenwood interchanged between the wing and up front and it did not really work
Greenwood had United’s best chance in the first half but his shot was blocked.
United actually got worse in the second half as AZ took control of the game, but they too lacked quality to break United down.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side did not manage a shot on target, which plain and simply is not good enough.
If you rushed home from work to watch this early kick-off, you might wish you had not bothered.
What the result means
Winning the first game at Old Trafford against Astana put United in a strong position.
Partizan Belgrade won away at Astana, after drawing with Alkmaar in the first game, and they sit level with United on four points.
Getting four points out of a possible six against Partizan in the next two meeting will effectively book United’s place in the knockout rounds with two games remaining.
But as we have seen in this competition so far, United won’t make anything look easy, and will make hard work of it.
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager