A penny for Ashley Young’s thoughts right now.
One week ago he was the belle of the ball, reportedly rejecting a United contract offer for the chance to sign with Inter Milan, BBC Sport reported.
Now his dream move is at risk of not happening at all.
This is because Inter Milan are reported to be pursuing other options.
In the works
Antonio Conte’s Inter are claimed to have struck a swap deal with Roma to sign another full-back.
Calciomercato reports Inter are set to sign Leonardo Spinazzola, with the deal ‘close to completion’.
Spinazzola is a versatile full-back who has played on both the right and left this season for Roma, and is also an Italy international.
The 26-year-old is a much better long-term option than Ashley Young for Inter.
Left on the shelf?
We are just speculating, but this development means Ashley Young is at risk of his dream move not coming off.
Young is a free agent in the summer, and could still sign for Inter, but he might find he simply becomes a back-up for the Nerazurri if he eventually joins them.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said firmly that Young was not in consideration for tonight’s match with Wolves, speaking to the club website.
This appears to be transfer related, suggesting Young is hoping to clinch a transfer as soon as this month.
Young really can’t afford to burn his bridges at United and miss out an Inter move too.
Inter’s move for Spinazzola means he is at risk of not getting the switch he wants.
- Varane transfer blow could have second complication for Manchester United
- James Garner is working hard in gym to be ready for Manchester United next season
- Joel Glazer explains why no plans to bring ‘Football Club’ back to Manchester United badge
- Ferdinand comments on United’s summer business as he responds to fans on social media
- Manchester United could be making a mistake with reported Juan Mata plans