Angel Gomes's choice after Manchester United exit looks smarter than ever
After leaving Manchester United, Angel Gomes took his time choosing a new club.
When he finally did, his choice of French side Lille surprised a few. But his decision looks smarter by the week.
For now, Gomes is on loan at Boavista. But next season he could be playing for the reigning Ligue 1 champions.
Lille are currently top of their table and Gomes knew exactly what he was doing when he put pen to paper.
With the attacking midfielder’s United contract ticking down, talk was rife that he could head to another superpower. Instead, he took his time and opted for a team where he can blossom into the star he is expected to become.
Gomes could have remained at United for the long haul. Instead, he was brave enough to reject a new contract at Old Trafford and head for pastures new.
Given how difficult it is for the likes of Donny van de Beek and Juan Mata to get a game at United these days, Gomes’s choice seems smart.
Fine form and smart decisions
In Portugal, he has featured 27 times to date, scoring six goals and setting up six more.
It is the kind of form that will have his new parent club excited for the future.
They signed a player with the world at his feet.
As for those United fans who questioned Gomes’s choice, the fact he could be heading back to reigning champions may soon silence those doubts.
At just 20, his career is only just starting. And as talented as the midfielder is on the field, he also seems to be making the right choices off it.
At first glance, leaving United for Lille seemed a strange one. Especially given how long Gomes had been at the Red Devils and how highly he is rated. But on reflection, it could be the making of him.
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars