Manchester United youngster Angel Gomes scored twice for England’s under-20 side on Thursday against Italy.
Gomes netted both goals in a 2-2 draw held in Parma. United left-back Brandon Williams also started.
This was a vital game for Gomes, helping him pick up some confidence.
Importantly it showed what he is capable of once again. Gomes can influence games and score goals, and the secret to success is fairly simple, play him in his preferred central position.
Gomes sent a message after his goals, expressing his satisfaction at hitting the back of the net twice.
Gomes’ season so far
The promising United youngster has made progress this season, he has started for the club for the first time.
Gomes has started in both Europa League games, looking promising against Astana, but finding it trickier away at Alkmaar, a match in which he was accommodated out on the right to accommodate Juan Mata centrally. It wasn’t a roaring success for either player.
At least he is playing, making three first team appearances in total, and with senior players failing to shine in attacking positions, Gomes should continue to get chances.
With United performing poorly it is tough for the younger players, and Gomes need not be disheartened if it does not click right away for him.
This latest display will lift his confidence, and is a useful reminder that he is a top talent who deserves patience.
- Manchester United need a flat track bully to get back to the top
- Jesse Lingard’s England snub marked a new low – how does he get back on form?
- United’s chance to sign Thomas Partey could get a lot harder
- Chevrolet’s reported stance only increases the pressure on Ed Woodward
- Manchester United’s lack of squad depth was always going to be downfall