Manchester United fans react to Angel Gomes' performance
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer gave Manchester United fans what we wanted against Astana. He picked Angel Gomes to start.
The attacking midfielder was picked as part of an intriguing attack, with Mason Greenwood, Marcus Rashford and Tahith Chong. United won the game 1-0, with Greenwood scoring in the second half.
Gomes was very involved, making more touches than any of the front four during his time on the pitch, and he kept moving, always looking to provide an option.
There was one moment early in the second half when he demonstrated an exquisite piece of skill, turning inside the penalty area when under pressure, to set up a chance.
With Gomes, there is understandably a lot of hope resting on his young shoulders, so it was always going to be hard to quite live up to that expectation.
Astana found him difficult to deal with, and his quick feet allowed him to win a free-kick on the edge of the box just before the hour mark, from which Fred had an effort saved.
United legend Peter Schmeichel picked out Gomes’ performance in the first half, having been impressed with what he saw from the teenager.
What was really noticeable about Gomes’ game was how infrequently he gives away possession. He completed 92 per cent of his passes which is a key trait for a player in his position.
Concerns over his lack of height or physicality seem to have disappeared, at least in this game, he looked comfortable before being substituted after 68 minutes for Juan Mata with the game goalless.
He had looked to be tiring a little, with his set piece delivery not as good in the second half as the first.
In all, this was a step in the right direction for Gomes, against a team which defended deep and did not allow a lot of space. While not a total ‘knocked it out the park’ success, more opportunities will come his way.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Gomes’ performance…
- Two Manchester United stars respond to Lionel Messi after Argentina performance
- 'Gone'… No chance club can keep £40m Manchester United transfer target, says pundit
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut