Andreas Pereira says he can fill right wing spot
Andreas Pereira is backing himself to become a major player for Manchester United this season.
Pereira spoke to FourFourTwo and said he has overcome the crisis of confidence he suffered under Jose Mourinho last season.
That’s been evident in his encouraging pre-season displays.
He knows it’s time for him to step up, and he says he doesn’t mind where he plays, whether it be in central midfield or even at right wing.
Pereira believes he has the tools to emulate legendary number seven David Beckham in the position.
The Brazilian said: “It’s my time to step up. I’m ready.
“As a No.8 or a No.10. I can play on the right wing like Becks used to play, cut inside and get the early cross in. I have a lot to show.”
Certainly we can’t knock Andreas’ confidence. At 23, he needs to kick on and show he is about more than potential.
The right wing position is a real conundrum for United, with no natural fit to play there at present.
There is hope United will sign Lille ace Nicolas Pepe, with The Times reporting Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen to sign the winger.
There are other priorities though, with central defence and central midfield areas which need addressing.
If this opens up a spot for Pereira to become United’s ‘next Beckham’ on the right, good on him, but it’s not ideal.
- United loanee Donny van de Beek shows what he's good at for Everton in final day appearance
- Ralf Rangnick 'tore into' Manchester United star in front of teammates
- Manchester United miss out on midfielder, Romano says Premier League club agree deal
- Early transfer would be decisive way for Manchester United to kick off Ten Hag era
- Edinson Cavani sends goodbye message to Manchester United fans
- 'We are so hurt'… Harry Maguire sends message to Manchester United fans