Alex Telles continued his 100 per cent record as a Manchester United player at the weekend.
United have won all four games in which Telles has started in all competitions.
He played 83 minutes in the 3-2 win over Southampton, before being substituted as a precaution, with the club website reporting he ‘suffered some discomfort in his groin’.
Hopefully it is not an injury which would keep Telles out of action, because he has been excellent since the international break.
This was another strong all round performance from the Brazilian at both ends.
A class act
Telles managed 92 touches in total. This was a figure topped only by Fred (94) who played the entire game.
The Brazilian contributed two key passes, a figure bettered only by Marcus Rashford with three.
He won two aerial duels, while making three tackles, three interceptions, and made four clearances.
This was a strong all round performance from Telles in his first ever Premier League away game.
Telles adds so much to United from an attacking perspective, but the defensive side of his game deserves praise too. His performances have balance to them, and his attacking productivity is not the result of a cavalier approach.
Hopefully he is passed fit
United do not have much time before Wednesday’s crunch game with Paris Saint-Germain at Old Trafford.
Luke Shaw is out with an injury barring a miraculous return even though he did return to light training at the end of last week.
It leaves Brandon Williams as next in line to start if Telles is not deemed fit enough to start.
Williams played in the Europa League knockout rounds last season including the semi-final, and acquitted himself well, but PSG are a dangerous team to go up against.
Telles’ experience will come in handy, not to mention his set piece deliveries which caused real problems for the French side in Paris on his debut.
- Anthony Elanga vows ‘I’ll be back’ after injury
- Solskjaer praises Diallo’s training performances once again
- After Phil Neville lands Inter Miami job, son Harvey provides first United u23 assist
- Hannibal Mejbri shows a touch of class in under-23s defeat
- United fans hope Diallo could feature this week after u23 absence
- Three players Manchester United were lucky to avoid in the summer
- United fans react to Anthony Elanga’s impressive under-23 performance
- Manchester United must fix right wing problem, says Gary Neville
- Rashford and Fernandes need United teammates to step up
- United must give Donny van de Beek a chance to shine against Liverpool next week