Alex Telles’ arrival at Manchester United last season was credited with sparking an upturn in form for Luke Shaw.
Now with Shaw’s form recently dropping off, Telles still can’t get a look in.
It’s understandable the Brazilian is frustrated, after his best moment in a Manchester United shirt.
Telles’ volley against Villarreal may have been a turning point in United’s Champions League campaign, and yet since then, he has not had a kick.
Shaw was instantly recalled to face Everton, made a goal-costing mistake, and has retained his place regardless. So much for fair competition.
Even after the Liverpool game, Telles seemed like a logical recall, especially with United shifting to 3-5-2.
Sadly for Telles, he not only missed out on a starting place, he failed to even make United’s bench at Spurs.
Shortly before kick-off, no doubt informed of the team news, Telles sent out a message on social media.
Telles’ message showed he is not prepared to give up, and he is optimistic his prospects will turn around.
It’s possible Telles sent this as a broad summary of his hopes. Or it is possible Solskjaer has promised him he could feature against Atalanta, and he just needed to be patient for one more game.
Shaw did well against Spurs after a tricky start in which he was booked for hauling down an opponent.
At that stage it looked like United might have regretted not having Telles on the bench.
An expanded bench for Champions League games and five substitutes at least offers Telles some optimism he may be involved against Atalanta in some capacity.
Shaw did provide the assist for Ronaldo’s winner against the Italians last time out, but he was also partly at fault for both goals.
Solskjaer has a big squad of players and he needs to start using it more sensibly.
Telles’ message was one of optimism, but if squad players like him keep on getting overlooked, they will start to grow increasingly restless.
- Facundo Pellistri plays 70 minutes on international debut in Uruguay win
- Big transfer moves in Europe impact Manchester United, including target's £62.4m switch
- Bryan Robson believes Anthony Elanga emergence will “spur” Manchester United star on
- Harry Maguire talks up 'amazing' Manchester United teammate
- 'Big champion': Manager praises 'disillusioned' Manchester United ace following agonising loss
- Manchester United loanee tipped to have big impact in title race by Sky pundit
- 'All the talent in the world': Maguire challenges Manchester United wonderkid to kick on
- United youngster Amad pictured in Rangers kit as loan deal sealed
- Photo: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pictured as Manchester United Women U21 win 5-0
- Pictures: Pogba posts training update during break as Ronaldo joins another Manchester United teammate
- Scottish league champions set to sign Manchester United wonderkid on loan