Manchester United will be without Paul Pogba against Leicester City, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed.
This presents a dilemma in midfield, with Pogba and Scott McTominay starting all four fixtures so far.
Replacing the Frenchman is a near impossible task, but United have to attempt it.
Here are four possible stand ins for Pogba this weekend…
This is one of the most likely options. Matic has been moaning about a lack of game time, and this is his chance.
The Serbian’s defensive qualities might be needed to help limit James Maddison and Youri Tielemans’ attacking intent.
His own lack of attacking quality will mean United’s forward players are under more pressure, although he might help them see more of the ball.
This might be the opportunity Andreas has been waiting for, having only had one central midfield start this season, on opening day.
He will work hard alongside Scott McTominay, although the pair might not have the quality required against a very talented Leicester midfield.
If he does not feature alongside McTominay in a deeper role, Pereira may still play as United’s most attacking midfielder.
This would be a good time for Manchester United’s £47 million man to step up.
Fred has not even made the bench this season, so there is no indication Solskjaer will call on him.
But if ever he was needed, it was now, and it is possible ‘needs must’ and United turn to the Brazilian.
It is possible that Solskjaer turns to youth and 18-year-old James Garner.
Garner has had a tremendous start to the season for the under-23s, scoring four goals already.
Getting him on the bench at least would be a step in the right direction.
Post publish edit: Garner has been named in United’s under-23 squad tonight, making it unlikely Solskjaer has plans to use him against Leicester, which is a shame.
- Rangnick should reward talented Manchester United youngster after eye-catching display
- Manchester United would be foolish not to pursue signing 'unplayable' £135m man on a free transfer
- 'Never give up': Manchester United players react as ex-teammate makes return after 321 days injured
- 4 Chances Created: Manchester United loan midfielder makes another case for recall
- 'Will be a club captain'… Some fans react to Manchester United loanee's 'outstanding' performance and interview