Harry Maguire’s injury gave Victor Lindelof a chance to shine when Manchester United took on Villarreal.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s late goal will grab all the headlines and rightly so. It was a magic moment.
The overall team performance wasn’t perfect but there were some individual displays worth noting and Lindelof’s was one of them.
He was assured throughout the game, even though Diogo Dalot outside of him had a tough night against Arnaut Danjuma.
His passing accuracy was the best of any United player who completed 90 minutes with 95.2 per cent.
He made four clearances – more than anyone else in red – and nobody on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side bettered his tally of two interceptions.
The early signs from his partnership with Raphael Varane were good, and with Maguire out for a few weeks, that pairing will only get more and more time to grow.
Lindelof’s display deservedly earned praise on Twitter on a night which takes on a far more positive complexion after Ronaldo’s late goal.
He is the only central defender who has started both of United’s Champions League games so far.
On this evidence, Solskjaer doesn’t need to rush his captain back. Lindelof took his chance to shine.
Here’s how his performance went down as United won 2-1…
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career