Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praised Manchester United duo David de Gea and Edinson Cavani following the 2-1 win over Villarreal.
De Gea kept United in the game during a first half where Diogo Dalot struggled to cope with Arnaut Danjuma.
Cavani was brought on after 75 minutes and gave the whole crowd a lift. There was one notable moment when he chased a lost cause down by the corner flag which got Old Trafford rocking.
Speaking to club media after the crucial victory, Solskjaer hailed the pair’s performances.
On de Gea, he said: “He had a difficult summer after [the Europa League final loss] and went to the Euros where he didn’t play. He’s really come back with a determination, belief and workrate that I’ve enjoyed.
“Again tonight he got his deserved outcome because he saved us. We have to be realistic and for me today, David deserves man of the match.”
On Cavani, he said: “The energy that Edinson gave us, the crowd, he’s exceptional.”
“Edi is always lively, he created chances, he pressed for us,” he added. “
Perhaps Cavani could have come on earlier but there is no doubt he gave United new life.
He is tireless in his running and he adds a goal threat whenever he is on the pitch.
The Uruguayan’s introduction meant Cristiano Ronaldo moved to the left, which is not the most familiar position for him these days but it is the role from which he scored the winner.
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys