Anthony Martial was a surprise starter for Manchester United against Everton today.
But the Frenchman repaid Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s faith by opening the scoring just before half-time.
Martial played on the left wing, where he will battle with Marcus Rashford – among others – for a starting berth once the England international is back fit.
And Rashford reacted to Martial’s finish into the roof of the net with a simple Twitter message.
It wasn’t a perfect afternoon for Martial, as he limped off early in the second half to be replaced by Jadon Sancho.
That meant he didn’t get much chance to build on the confidence he gained from his first United goal in eight months.
Martial and Solskjaer will hope the injury isn’t too serious and doesn’t stunt his momentum after he got back on the scoresheet.
The international break should hand Martial an opportunity to recover from what is hopefully just a knock.
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea
- Manchester United fans react to Dusan Vlahovic reports