Anthony Martial was a surprise starter for Manchester United against Everton today.
But the Frenchman repaid Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s faith by opening the scoring just before half-time.
Martial played on the left wing, where he will battle with Marcus Rashford – among others – for a starting berth once the England international is back fit.
And Rashford reacted to Martial’s finish into the roof of the net with a simple Twitter message.
It wasn’t a perfect afternoon for Martial, as he limped off early in the second half to be replaced by Jadon Sancho.
That meant he didn’t get much chance to build on the confidence he gained from his first United goal in eight months.
Martial and Solskjaer will hope the injury isn’t too serious and doesn’t stunt his momentum after he got back on the scoresheet.
The international break should hand Martial an opportunity to recover from what is hopefully just a knock.
- Director plays down ‘speculation’ over Manchester United talks with £80m ace
- Cristiano Ronaldo ‘likes’ Manchester United star announcement
- Mason Mount best position: How he impacts Bruno Fernandes
- Early deal for £40m star is perfect way for Manchester United to approach striker dilemma
- The perfect player to solve Manchester United’s away record could be signed this summer