Manchester United make for uncomfortable viewing in recent weeks but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side deservedly moved back into the Premier League’s top two with a 1-0 win against West Ham.
The Reds looked tired on Sunday but could have won more comfortably had it not been for the good performance of West Ham goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski and the post at either end.
Harry Maguire thrives in United defence
Maguire particularly impressed in blocking low crosses. Time after time, the England centre-back hooked away dangerous crosses, many of them low. His aerial quality, of course, impressed too. Against the threat of Soucek and Antonio, Maguire constantly saw off the threat. This was a game built for him, in a way, which played to his strengths.
Maguire contributed more than 15 blocks, clearances, interceptions and aerial wins without giving away a foul. West Ham didn’t have a single shot on target. That’s a clean defensive display.
Luke Shaw continues to be one of United’s main creative forces, creating two chances while he worked hard with Maguire to deny the threat of Coufal down the right-wing.
Two shots coming off the post, one of which was pushed onto there well by Fabianski, was a sign of an unlucky afternoon for Mason Greenwood. The 19-year-old moved across the front line and impressed in all positions. His dribbling, taking on players one-on-one, was typically exciting if not always perfectly effective.
The two shots he dug out were good; only a matter of inches denied him a brace. Greenwood will find goalscoring form again soon.
For now, his general performances are good enough to give him credit and have faith he’ll hit the back of the net soon.
- What Manchester United must do to close the gap on City
- How Kieran O’Hara has fared since his permanent Manchester United exit
- Amad Diallo reminds Manchester United of Javier Hernandez brilliance
- Angel Gomes and Largie Ramazani needed Manchester United exit to ensure moments of magic
- Three reasons Erling Haaland should seriously consider Manchester United move this summer
- Three best players for Manchester United U23s vs Brighton
- Matej Kovar heroics help 10-man Manchester United U23s to impressive draw vs Brighton
- Report: Napoli and Atalanta both want to sign United loanee Pereira