We still don’t know where Diogo Dalot’s future will lie at the end of the transfer window.
Dalot returned for pre-season at Manchester United on the back of a surprise late call-up to Portugal’s Euro 2020 squad.
But talk of Kieran Trippier arriving at Old Trafford before the end of the month refuses to go away.
The prospect of him being sold to raise funds can’t be ruled out, but in the meantime, all he can do is get his head down and try to impress.
He got the chance to do exactly that in United’s final friendly of pre-season against Everton at Old Trafford.
It was already 3-0 by the time Dalot replaced Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the second half.
The game settled into a lull but the Portugal international put in a performance full of intent, bombing up and down the right flank.
A goal right before the end of the match was a deserved reward for a very bright display.
In United’s last pre-season outing, Dalot was found wanting for Brentford’s late equaliser but he was far better here.
That brought him deserved praise from some United fans on Twitter. Some want to see him get a proper chance this season instead of signing Trippier.
With Alex Telles out injured ahead of the start of the season, Dalot might be kept around to cover at left-back even if Trippier arrives. Time will tell.
But here’s how his display went down on Twitter as United got limbered up for the new campaign with a comfortable home win:
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing