Angel Gomes says United star Bruno Fernandes helped him settle at Boavista
Angel Gomes was a highly-rated prospect at Manchester United before leaving on a free transfer this summer.
He wasn’t handed a regular shot in the first team to show what he can do, and joined Lille ahead of this season.
Lille immediately loaned him to Boavista, where he claims Bruno Fernandes arranged everything to help him settle in – ‘apartments to visit, getting a car, and where to go for food.’
Speaking to the Independent, Gomes also spoke about the love he still has for United and the contract offer he was made.
“It’s such a special club but I just wanted to be able to play and express myself,” said Gomes.
“I was offered a great contract, I had all my family and friends around me, but I decided that I was willing to sacrifice that to pursue a different path.
“It’s hard to understand how difficult a decision that was. I’m still a United fan. I still watch every game now, whether it’s the first team or the Under 18s.
“I could have stayed and gone out on loan but it just felt like I needed a fresh start. A year ago, I would never have thought I’d be in this position, but I’m really enjoying it.”
Gomes is already showing his quality. He has three goals and four assists from just five Liga NOS games for Boavista.
His time in Portugal has already seen him score from the halfway line and bag a sensational solo goal.
Gomes took the decision he needed to in order to get gametime.
Even at the time, it was confusing that he didn’t get a crack of the whip, at least in the Europa League when United were short of midfield options at various points last season.
The way he’s shining now makes that decision more baffling. But it is good for the player himself that he took a bold call, leaving behind the club where he grew up and it’s paying off so far.
- 'Go smash it': Manchester United players react to Dean Henderson's loan move to Nottingham Forest
- 'He's got strong beliefs': Former Manchester United man gives his verdict on Ten Hag and Jesse Lingard's next move
- 'Got that feeling': Marcus Rashford gives a positive insight into Erik ten Hag's first week at Manchester United
- 'No intention': Manchester United receive huge setback in pursuit of 43-time international
- Manchester United set to announce first signing of Erik ten Hag era with first part of medical due to take place today