United fans react to Harry Maguire's performance
A club doesn’t pay £80 million on a centre-back and expect to concede three goals away to a newly promoted side.
So by that very statement, Harry Maguire’s performance against Sheffield United was disappointing.
It wasn’t easy for Maguire, playing in a back three with an out of practice Phil Jones and Victor Lindelöf, who has had a shaky start to the season.
In the first half Maguire actually had some positive moments, making clearances and blocks, and looked like he cared.
But just being better than Phil Jones is not enough. We need far more than that.
Sheffield United’s late equaliser was a moment where he should have done better.
Oli McBurnie’s goal perhaps should have been ruled out by VAR. Maguire could also have got closer to the striker, to block or even cut out the ball into him.
The right captain?
Harry Maguire has been given the United captaincy in recent weeks ahead of David de Gea. Is it too much too soon for the centre-back?
United’s defence has improved this season with Maguire in, but not to the standard we need.
Maguire is not helped by a poor midfield in front of him, and regularly changing formations and defensive partners.
Axel Tuanzebe’s return may help him if they are paired together, and Eric Bailly could be the solution.
We all admire the effort Maguire is putting in, and appreciate there are factors behind his underwhelming performances.
But it is also fair to say he needs to do a bit better, especially with big games against Tottenham and City upcoming.
Here is a look at how fans reacted to Maguire’s performance…
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss