United fans react to Cavani's cameo performance against West Ham
Ralf Rangnick left it late to use his substitutions as Manchester United’s clash with West Ham drifted on.
It looked like he might have left it too late when Edinson Cavani and Anthony Martial were introduced with just eight minutes remaining.
Martial had a stoppage time opening which went by under pressure from his countryman Kurt Zouma and that seemed to be that.
But the Frenchman laid on Cavani, who was marginally onside and he laid it across to Marcus Rashford to win the game and send Old Trafford wild.
The Uruguayan did not get much opportunity to impact the game, but he still managed to do it anyway.
By the end, Rangnick’s tactics were approaching 4-2-4 and perhaps that is why he did not change things earlier.
He knew United could not afford to be that open for very long but the substitutes were on the pitch long enough to swing the game United’s way.
Cavani was back in the squad after missing the trip to Brentford as injury problems continue to hamper his progress this season.
But his cameo display was impressive and decisive, rightly drawing praise from some United fans on social media as they celebrated a crucial win.
It would be a boost if Cavani can use the international break to get fully fit, although he has been called into Uruguay’s plans for their World Cup qualifiers.
Here is how his brief performance went down with some United fans on Twitter as the Red Devils clambered into the top four at the last possible moment…
- Ajax star backs Erik ten Hag for trophies at Manchester United in emotional message
- Paul Pogba drops cryptic 'see you soon' message to Paulo Dybala, who is set to leave Juventus
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments
- Manchester United send message to Britain's first openly gay footballer since Justin Fashanu
- Report: Manchester United could sign prolific striker for just £51 million