Manchester United’s FA Cup tie against Tranmere went better than anybody expected.
A 6-0 away win made a mockery of our form heading into the match, and six different players got on the scoresheet too.
There was also a sense of a missed opportunity. Why was Angel Gomes not even on the bench?
Gomes travelled to Tranmere, but did not make United’s matchday 18.
BBC Sport’s Simon Stone confirmed Gomes’ absence was a selection issue, denying social media rumours there was any other reason.
Gomes’ last game was when he came off the bench against Manchester City in the Carabao Cup in early January, and he instigated an attack which led to United’s goal.
He has not featured since, and this match against League One side Tranmere seemed ideal to mix him in, at least from the bench.
Now you have to say Gomes’ prospects at United look bleak, after this latest snub.
His contract at United is expiring, and the club are not giving him any reason to want to renew at the moment.
A loan deal would be in his interests, but United are unlikely to grant this if he does not sign an extension.
The manner of United’s easy win made this a wasted opportunity to give Gomes more game time.
Supporters were perplexed at the youngster’s continued absence, and fear for his future at the club.
- United defender Axel Tuanzebe reflects on a ‘frustrating’ season
- Solskjaer instructions clear as Manchester United shun long ball tactics
- United linked star Camavinga has made more tackles than Wan-Bissaka
- Odion Ighalo sends message to Manchester United fan about his future
- Seven top class Manchester United combinations we’ve barely seen yet