Manchester United’s FA Cup tie against Tranmere went better than anybody expected.
A 6-0 away win made a mockery of our form heading into the match, and six different players got on the scoresheet too.
There was also a sense of a missed opportunity. Why was Angel Gomes not even on the bench?
Gomes travelled to Tranmere, but did not make United’s matchday 18.
BBC Sport’s Simon Stone confirmed Gomes’ absence was a selection issue, denying social media rumours there was any other reason.
Gomes’ last game was when he came off the bench against Manchester City in the Carabao Cup in early January, and he instigated an attack which led to United’s goal.
He has not featured since, and this match against League One side Tranmere seemed ideal to mix him in, at least from the bench.
Now you have to say Gomes’ prospects at United look bleak, after this latest snub.
His contract at United is expiring, and the club are not giving him any reason to want to renew at the moment.
A loan deal would be in his interests, but United are unlikely to grant this if he does not sign an extension.
The manner of United’s easy win made this a wasted opportunity to give Gomes more game time.
Supporters were perplexed at the youngster’s continued absence, and fear for his future at the club.
- Photo: Martial points to Sevilla badge after signing deal, squad number unveiled, Rashford reacts
- Done deal: Sevilla confirm loan signing of Anthony Martial
- Denis Irwin gives his verdict on Manchester United's competition for places
- Who is the winger with £67m release clause Manchester United are linked with signing?
- 'Good deal'… Rio Ferdinand gives his verdict on Manchester United star's loan exit