United fans react to Brandon Williams' performance at right-back
Brandon Williams made his first ever start for Manchester United at right-back last night against LASK.
Williams played there regularly for the under-23s before shifting to left-back, where he has broken into the United side, making 25 appearances prior to last night.
Circumstances against LASK prompted manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to give him a start on the right.
Luke Shaw has been back in form and with United playing four at the back, he got the nod at left-back.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka was rested ahead of the Tottenham match on Sunday, while Diogo Dalot missed the trip through injury.
Youngster Ethan Laird is also out injured, making Williams the most natural stand in for Wan-Bissaka.
He is right footed, so it wasn’t a big stretch for him to play in the position.
He played well
LASK did not offer much quality in attack, or at least United made them look that way, and Williams had a relatively comfortable night.
There was one moment in the 65th minute where he needlessly gave the ball away inside his own half, before his teammates bailed him out.
Apart from that Williams put in a solid performance on the way to yet another Manchester United clean sheet.
Williams touched the ball 77 times and made five successful dribbles. He also made three interceptions and won one tackle.
This was valuable experience for the 19-year-old in his breakthrough season.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to his showing at right-back…
- Deal close: Manchester United hope to finalise £69m De Jong move by end of the week
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked