Tahith Chong came off the bench for Manchester United against Leicester, making his first appearance of the season.
In late August he was still featuring for the under-23 side, scoring a brace in a 4-0 win at Newcastle. This emphasised that he was ready for first team football.
Chong was lively against Leicester, pressing and showing that he was a valuable player to call on from the bench.
Along with Fred, his introduction gave United extra energy in the second half as the team looked to hold onto a 1-0 lead.
An important step forward
Chong, 19, is now entering the most important stretch of football of his career so far. And it could define his future.
The Dutch winger will get opportunities in the Europa League, which starts this week, and the Carabao Cup.
With United’s squad stretched, there will likely be more Premier League minutes for him too.
His performance showed the value the young players can bring to the team, with Mason Greenwood and Angel Gomes unused substitutes.
Getting a win for United was so important, and doing so while turning to youth in the process made it even better.
Here is a look at how Manchester United fans reacted to Chong’s performance…
- Midfield trio show United can succeed without Paul Pogba
- Bailly, Lindelöf and Maguire could be a force to be reckoned with
- Wan-Bissaka’s moment of magic has been coming for a while
- Three questions for Manchester United after beating Chelsea
- Pogba poses with Manchester United fan in Dubai – away from furore