Juan Mata rolled back the clock to deliver a fantastic performance for Manchester United against Club Brugge.
The Spaniard set the tone early with a powerful shot from long range as United won the game 5-0.
Helped by an early red card to Club Brugge’s Simon Deli, Mata combined with Bruno Fernandes to carve the Belgian side apart.
In total Mata created six chances, more than any player on the pitch.
Fernandes was next highest on three, although he only played 64 minutes, while Club Brugge created just three chances combined.
Looked like he enjoyed every second
Mata spoke to the club website this week and said he was happy with his form, saying “I’m enjoying my level now, that’s what I like to do, to try to help the team with my football and if I’m enjoying it on the pitch it means my level is good.”
He looked as though he was loving it last night and when Mata plays with a smile on his face rather than a frown, his best football comes along with it.
It was a selfless display from Mata who by the end was playing deep like a central midfielder as others surged forward. The early shot he had was the only one he attempted.
His link up with Fernandes was the most impressive and being able to combine with a player who sees the game in a similar way to how he does brings impressive results.
If they can build a partnership then it could prolong Mata’s career at Old Trafford. Last night showed he has plenty still to offer.
Fans positive about Mata
This was a night where it all came together for the Spaniard. Here is a look at the reaction on social media to his performance…
- Facundo Pellistri plays 70 minutes on international debut in Uruguay win
- Big transfer moves in Europe impact Manchester United, including target's £62.4m switch
- Bryan Robson believes Anthony Elanga emergence will “spur” Manchester United star on
- Harry Maguire talks up 'amazing' Manchester United teammate
- 'Big champion': Manager praises 'disillusioned' Manchester United ace following agonising loss