After getting the nod last week after the international break, it became clear Dean Henderson had established himself as Manchester United’s number one.
It is a position where the pressure never lets up. Just ask David de Gea, who for all his sustained brilliance, made an error for United away at Tottenham last season which saw him lambasted in the media. Roy Keane even told Sky at the time that the Spaniard should ‘take the bus home’.
Henderson was in goal for United’s latest visit to Tottenham, and he put in a strong, confident display which underlined why he is first choice.
While he could not do much amid a poor defensive set up for Tottenham’s goal, Henderson was excellent throughout.
We saw this when he claimed a cross in the first half, with a calm, authoratative take, which is one of De Gea’s weak points.
Henderson made a good second half save from Harry Kane at his near post, with a De Gea like block with his feet.
This game also saw Henderson’s alertness come to the fore. Sky Sports report he made three ‘sweeper keeper’ moves, anticipating dangers by rushing off his line to clear the ball.
No goalkeeper has made more, in any game this season in the Premier League.
Henderson has now done this eight times in eight Premier League games.
De Gea by comparison has done so 10 times in 24 matches.
It’s a good trait to have. Manuel Neuer is regarded as one of the best goalkeepers of the past decade and he has made it his speciality.
The change has been made
A switch in goal was always likely to happen this season at some stage, and United have taken the plunge.
Henderson has stepped up and shown United were right to do so. He has impressive clean sheets to his name away at City and AC Milan.
United supporters praised Henderson after the 3-1 win over Spurs, despite his efforts largely going overshadowed by an excellent attacking performance.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to Henderson’s performance….
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final
- Three relegated players Manchester United could try to sign
- Three questions for Manchester United ahead of Fulham game