Brandon Williams made his return to the Manchester United starting line up against AZ Alkmaar after a couple of games on the bench.
Williams responded in the best way possible with an excellent performance at both ends of the pitch.
Concerns over his defensive discipline led to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to take him out of the side for games with Tottenham and Manchester City.
United won these matches, so he Solskjaer wasn’t proven wrong, so it was nice to see Williams reply by helping to keep a clean sheet against Alkmaar.
A game of two halves
Williams’ performance reflected United’s approach in the game. He was very defensive in the first half, and wasn’t his usual adventurous self.
It showed that he can be disciplined defensively, but United’s first half play was dull, and we barely threatened the AZ goal.
It was clear after half-time that Williams had been given extra license to go forward.
He sparked off a number of attacks, driving forward from left-back, to create space, play passes and offer a return, and helped United to pin AZ down in their own third.
As United got on top, he was even more relentless, and showed why he is the club’s most unique attacking option at the position, absolutely fearless.
Williams had 96 touches in total and completed 95 per cent of his passes.
The clean sheet will please him the most, but it was his attacking which really caught the eye.
Reaction to Williams
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to his performance…
- Newcastle targeting loan deal for Manchester United ace, prepared to cover 100% of wages
- What channel is Brentford v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and team news
- Manchester United will need to move the ball quickly to bypass Brentford's top-tackler
- Rangnick says £50m man is set to miss Manchester United's next two Premier League games
- One of Manchester United's top manager targets gets easier as club contact replacement