Anthony Elanga came on as one of four half-time substitutes in the friendly at Queens Park Rangers today.
It wasn’t the easiest time to come on, as the home side raced into a 4-1 lead within 15 minutes of the restart.
But Elanga did cut QPR’s advantage to make it 4-2 with a smartly taken strike from the edge of the area.
The 19-year-old’s pace caused problems throughout the second half; both in terms of running in behind and dribbling at the home defence.
The young winger looked dangerous whenever he got possession in and was even more of a threat with his running off the ball, offering options for through passes.
He looked good on the counter-attack on what was a tricky afternoon for United’s youngsters.
He clearly wanted to make the most of his 45 minutes but it wasn’t perfect.
Elanga should have scored more than once. He burst through early in the second half but a heavy touch cost him a huge goalscoring opportunity.
He also had a close range shot saved later on in the half.
But the positives far outweighed the negatives and scoring will do Elanga’s confidence the power of good.
This goal and performance builds up a little bit more excitement around a player United fans have not seen too much of so far.
He scored on the final day of the season at Wolves and has started pre-season where he left off.
It was important he grabbed this opportunity with senior wingers such as Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho not around.
Here is a look at how United supporters reacted to Elanga’s second half performance…
- Three players linked with Manchester United transfer moves this week
- Two Manchester United players have turned Cristiano Ronaldo deal from luxury to necessity
- Two Manchester United academy players react after meeting Ronaldo for the first time
- Ethan Laird told to start scoring goals to take his game to the next level
- Aston Villa suffer double injury blow ahead of Manchester United clash