Manchester United fans react as Harry Maguire becomes England's highest ever scoring centre-back
Harry Maguire just can’t stop scoring… for England.
Once again Maguire opened the scoring in a dominant Three Lions win over San Marino as England locked in a World Cup spot for Qatar 2022.
Maguire powered home a header from a corner to spark a very one-sided result with England 6-0 up at half-time, with the team going on to win 10-0.
This came after his goal in the 5-0 win over Albania on Friday night.
As we had noted, Maguire is far more prolific for England than he is for Manchester United.
He now has seven goals in 41 games for England, in comparison to six in 120 for United.
The goal against lowly San Marino did have some historical significance, as it made Maguire the highest scoring England centre-back of all-time.
Five of Maguire’s seven England goals have come in 2021, making this a particularly productive campaign for the centre-back.
The goals will do wonders for Maguire’s confidence at a time he needs it.
Manchester United fans have been correctly critical of his performances, and his captaincy in recent weeks, with results desperately poor.
While international opponents Albania and San Marino have been of a low standard, Maguire has done his job well, and will return to Carrington with a bit more of a spring in his step than when he left.
United fans will be hoping he can improve his irregular club goalscoring record this weekend, and the club’s coaching staff should be looking at how he can become more accurate from set pieces in a Red Devils shirt, starting with Saturday’s game at Watford.
Here is a look at how United supporters reacted to Maguire’s goal…
- Impressive Manchester United loanee provides assist v league leaders, Red Devils teammate hooked after 58 minutes
- Manchester United took a step forward under Ten Hag at the weekend, if you look closely enough
- Report: Manchester United have second chance to sign Haaland Mk II
- Garnacho scores late winner and Pellistri starts as Manchester United u21s beat Barrow
- Former Manchester United prospect who played alongside World Cup winner joins new club