There were not many positives to take from Manchester United’s drab 0-0 draw with Chelsea.
Defensively though, the team did their job. After conceding six in the last home match, a clean sheet was a big improvement.
United lined up with four at the back and went with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s most relied upon partnership of Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire.
Lindelof had an early season wobble, and made errors at the end of last season, but he seems to have come through this tough patch.
Against PSG in midweek he was excellent and in this match he was one of the best players on the pitch.
Lindelof made two clearances, one tackle, and one interception. These statistics did not do his performance justice.
He was calm at the back and closed down space, denying Chelsea’s attackers space.
Lindelof also played a part in United’s attacks towards the end of the game, when others were unwilling to gamble, he brought the ball out from defence and created space for teammates to try and use to their advantage.
This was the type of performance United expect from Lindelof, and one he produced often in big games last season before his standards slipped.
United needed to see a response from the Swede after his dreadful season opener against Palace, and he is back to near his best. It is good to see.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted on Twitter to Lindelof’s performance…
- Varane transfer blow could have second complication for Manchester United
- James Garner is working hard in gym to be ready for Manchester United next season
- Joel Glazer explains why no plans to bring ‘Football Club’ back to Manchester United badge
- Ferdinand comments on United’s summer business as he responds to fans on social media
- Manchester United could be making a mistake with reported Juan Mata plans
- McTominay talks about coming through the ranks at United
- Marcel Sabitzer shows why he could be an astute signing for Manchester United
- Manchester United fans loved seeing Ruud van Nistelrooy on Netherlands’ coaching staff
- Fred helps Brazil to opening Copa America victory
- Paul Pogba says he is still hurting from France’s Euro 2016 defeat