A week ago a report from Goal claimed Jack Grealish has decided he wants to join Manchester United this summer.
Grealish was even claimed to have begun house hunting in Manchester as he prepares for the next step in his career.
Yesterday afternoon the midfielder was in action for the first time since these claims. He didn’t disappoint.
Grealish was the star of the show as Villa took on Tottenham. While his side collapsed to a late 3-2 winner, he did everything he could.
He provided an assist for Villa’s second goal, one of five chances he created, the highest number of any player on the pitch.
United’s side has lacked creativity this season and Grealish would help address this problem.
He now has six assists for the season and seven goals, 13 goal contributions in total.
The highest combination of goals and assists any United midfielder or winger has managed in the Premier League is Dan James with nine, followed by both Andreas Pereira and Scott McTominay, four each.
As Villa left the pitch, club captain Grealish rushed over to express sympathy for Bjorn Engels, whose mistake cost Villa the game. It was a sign of the leadership the midfielder could bring to Old Trafford.
The defeat leaves Villa one point ahead of the relegation zone, while West Ham below them have a game in hand. If they go down, Grealish’s exit is more likely.
Fans want a deal for Grealish
There is a long way to go until summer, but Grealish is one star United supporters are desperate to see sign.
Here is a look at various reactions from supporters on social media to the 24-year-old’s performance…
- Denis Irwin gives his verdict on Manchester United's competition for places
- Who is the winger with £67m release clause Manchester United are linked with signing?
- 'Good deal'… Rio Ferdinand gives his verdict on Manchester United star's loan exit
- 'Speed'… Boss says Manchester United 20-year-old's pace crucial to first ever international cap
- Anthony Martial's best 5 moments as a Manchester United player as Sevilla loan exit nears