It is not just Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who is an unswayable fan of Jesse Lingard.
The out of form Manchester United star was earlier today named in Gareth Southgate’s latest England squad.
England picked a 26 man squad for the upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers, BBC Sport reported.
Lingard was one of four Manchester United players named, along with Marcus Rashford, Harry Maguire and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
This was Wan-Bissaka’s first ever call to the England squad, a reward for his impressive United performances to start the season.
Lingard meanwhile is in the squad on past contribution for England, it would seem.
He was part of the Three Lions squad which made the World Cup 2018 semi-finals.
At United, his form has been troublingly poor. He has no goals or assists since January.
At the weekend he was substituted after just 55 minutes and there are calls for him to be replaced.
If he was left out of the England squad it could have been a major wake up call for Lingard.
It may even have forced Solskjaer to reconsider his stance on him too.
Hopefully Solskjaer will look to an alternative this weekend against Southampton any way.
While we want Jesse to do well, it simply isn’t happening for him at present and there are players more deserving of opportunities.
His call into the England squad has prompted bemusement from United supporters.
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer, as he hopes for lift from crowd return