Harry Maguire provided a potential glimpse of United’s future last night when he wore a captain’s armband.
Maguire was handed the England armband midway through the Three Lions’ 4-0 win over Bulgaria when Harry Kane was substituted.
He played an important role in a comfortable win for England in which a clean sheet rarely looked threatened.
Maguire was one of two United players to feature along with starter Marcus Rashford.
Jesse Lingard pulled out with an illness ahead of the game, while Aaron Wan-Bissaka had withdrawn from the squad last week with a back injury.
Harry Kane scored a hat-trick which included two penalties, with Raheem Sterling also on target.
Maguire was an England regular before he signed for United and is the Three Lions’ first choice centre-back.
The future of United’s captaincy is unclear, with a decision taken in the summer just before Maguire signed.
Ashley Young is the club captain, but in his absence the first two games of the season, De Gea wore the armband.
Both players have contracts which expire next summer and De Gea’s lack of commitment is a worrying sign.
Maguire has leadership skills and the quality to take on a role, he is a natural. It’s very possible he gets the captaincy next season.
United fans feel they may have seen a glimpse of the future and were delighted to see Maguire take up the England honour, even temporarily…
- Three reasons Jadon Sancho to Manchester United finally looks to be on
- United success in the Europa League would be bittersweet for unlucky Luke Shaw
- Dortmund sale of Dembele offers hope for United over structured payments
- Bruno Fernandes among Manchester United stars in training ahead of LASK tie
- Borthwick-Jackson and Gribbin find new clubs, Traore wanted in France