Fans lay into Ed Woodward after latest United blunder
Q) What’s worse than offering Ashley Young a contract extension?
A) Offering Ashley Young a contract extension and being rejected.
Yes, this is the sad reality of Manchester United in 2020. A state of affairs so bad you couldn’t make it up.
Sky Sports reported on Thursday how Young turned down a contract extension, in favour of a summer move to Inter Milan.
Young has actually done United a favour here, we do not need him, and it is embarrassing Ed Woodward thought we did.
But to have him reject the offer, says everything about where United are right now. It’s hard to blame Young for feeling that way either.
Ed Woodward’s incompetency is Manchester United’s biggest problem. It is long since time he resigned.
This latest blunder comes 48 hours after a home derby defeat, and still no players are close to being signed in the transfer window.
Woodward has been a disaster at United since day one, and you can track it back to his first summer in charge after he replaced David Gill.
It says a lot about the priorities of the absent minded Glazer ownership that they have been happy to tolerate Woodward for the past seven seasons.
United have lost two and drawn one game so far in 2020 and were out of the title race before the season even began.
For all the talk of building for the future, progress is inconsistent and unconvincing.
It is almost impossible to judge Ole Gunnar Solskjaer fairly because he is not being given the players a top manager would need.
United’s squad has major holes and Ed Woodward is responsible for it. He has backed off hiring a director of football, despite the obvious benefit this could bring to the club.
Supporters are growing increasingly fed up. For some, the Ashley Young own goal was the last straw.
- What channel is Brentford v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury