It has been a busy day around Europe for clubs trying to do business ahead of their transfer deadlines.
United even managed to offload Matteo Darmian to Parma, on a permanent deal, the club confirmed.
One development we did not expect, was for a Spanish second division club to taunt United about their ‘big name signing’.
Almeria sent a message to United boasting about their acquisition of Arvin Appiah.
Appiah, 18, had been at Nottingham Forest, where he had not yet made a single league appearance this season.
So what is this all about?
Essentially this was just Almeria trying to talk themselves up and make themselves look good.
If it makes them feel better to claim they have beaten us to the deal, whatever.
The sole basis for this claim is a report in The Sun claiming United ‘have previously tracked’ Appiah.
It sounds like due diligence on a talented English prospect from United, rather than a Wesley Sneijder like pursuit.
If there was interest, United would have moved before our transfer deadline.
And you know what, if he’s any good, we’ll buy him off Almeria in a few year’s time. Knowing how Ed Woodward does business, at 10 times the fee.
Responding in kind
United fans had some fun with this and let the Spanish club know they are welcome to Appiah…
- Hannibal says he is learning technical ability on it’s own is not enough to succeed
- Manchester United Qatari takeover ‘bid’ sees MUFC share price skyrocket
- Why Manchester United v Leeds is not being shown live on TV in the UK
- Manchester United predicted line-up v Leeds
- Erik ten Hag says Alejandro Garnacho caused him to change his transfer plans