Jadon Sancho mocks Cristiano Ronaldo in light-hearted response
Manchester United welcomed Cristiano Ronaldo back to training today after he missed out on the weekend draw against Aston Villa.
Ronaldo is hoping to be available for the midweek game away at Brentford, with United desperate for a victory.
Ronaldo made a point to let everybody know he was on the winning team in training, showing his competitive spirit upon his return – while also notably letting fans know Paul Pogba is back with the squad.
Ronaldo was clearly happy about his training ground win, but Jadon Sancho had a chippy response.
Sancho left a message on Ronaldo’s Instagram feed, telling him to enjoy it because he has not had many lately.
Sancho’s message was meant in regard to Ronaldo’s training wins, but you could make an argument that it applies to Manchester United’s first team too.
United’s only win of 2022 so far came without Ronaldo, with his last victory on the pitch coming against Burnley at the end of December.
Sancho has not had much to smile about either, also missing the FA Cup win over Aston Villa with injury, and having to settle for a place on the bench at the weekend.
When he did come on, Sancho lacked sharpness, unable to match the direct qualities starter Anthony Elanga showed.
United fans are happy to be patient with Sancho, but there are a few questions creeping in, after an inconsistent start to his first season at Old Trafford.
Sancho and Ronaldo seem to be getting along just fine, and the young winger feels comfortable enough with the 36-year-old to take a light-hearted dig at him.
Amid suggestions from pundits United’s younger players may be intimidated by Ronaldo, Sancho’s message suggests that is not the case, behind the scenes at least.
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments
- Manchester United send message to Britain's first openly gay footballer since Justin Fashanu
- Report: Manchester United could sign prolific striker for just £51 million
- 5 clubs £40m valued Manchester United man could move to this summer
- Ten Hag issues young player warning after handing debuts to 22nd and 23rd academy players at Ajax