United’s three best players in 4-2 Youth League win vs Atalanta
Before Manchester United and Atalanta face off in the Champions League, they met in the UEFA Youth League.
The Italians went ahead at Leigh Sports Village before United roared back to win 4-2.
It was an open encounter with both sides more impressive going forward than defensively.
United won comfortably in the end but goalkeeper Radek Vitek had to be on top of his game.
There were three hugely impressive saves at key times to keep United on course for victory.
Atalanta’s first team have a reputation for open, expansive football and their young guns play in the same vein.
17-year-old Alejandro Garnacho was arguably the pick of United’s outfield players.
On 24 minutes, he set up Joe Hugill’s goal which made it 2-1, with a surging run down the right and an inch-perfect ball across the box. Hugill could hardly miss.
Then Garnacho took centre stage himself, cutting inside from the left before producing a stunning curling strike into the far corner to make it 3-1 on the hour mark.
Substitute Omari Forson made an instant impression within seconds of coming on.
With his first touch, Forson smartly converted an Alvaro Fernandez cross for 4-1.
Forson signed his first professional contract just ten weeks ago, and made the most of his chance when he came on.
- Manchester United star injures player who made 14 appearances under Ten Hag in World Cup training session
- Alejandro Garnacho gives glowing two-word verdict on Manchester United star's World Cup performance
- Report: Manchester United now want to sign £52m midfielder who won at Old Trafford this season
- 'I could have left for United'… World Cup goalscorer speaks out about failed Old Trafford move
- Jude Bellingham and Wayne Rooney pay tribute to 'absolutely outstanding' Manchester United World Cup star