United youngster Matej Kovar keeps sixth consecutive clean sheet
Young Manchester United goalkeeper Matej Kovar has continued his strong recent stretch of form.
Kovar helped Czech Republic’s under-21 side to a 1-0 win over Kosovo in European Championship qualifying last night.
This was a sixth consecutive clean sheet for Kovar for club and country.
Kovar, 21, had kept clean sheets for Manchester United’s under-23 side in the 3-0 EFL Trophy win over Bradford City and in league matches against Everton (1-0) and Liverpool (3-0).
These followed a 1-0 win over Slovenia and a 4-0 win over Albania for Czech Republic’s under-21s during the September international break.
Kovar’s latest shutout was a confidence boosting sixth in a row.
Next up is another game against the same opponent, Kosovo, on October 12.
Kovar was rewarded during the last international break by being called up into the Czech Republic senior squad for their final match after a late injury.
New challenge needed?
Kovar began last season on loan at League One side Swindon Town, in which he played 21 matches.
But he eventually lost his place after a change of manager at the club and United recalled him in January.
United kept him with the under-23s this season with Nathan Bishop heading out on loan instead.
It would not be a surprise if United fix up a loan for him in the January transfer window, and there should be a few offers.
Radek Vitek and Ondrej Mastny could both fill in for the under-23s if Kovar went out on loan.
Goalkeeper is a position where United are spoiled for talent at all levels. Kovar’s recent form underlines the strength in depth.
- Cristiano Ronaldo may have just played a masterstroke over imminent £69m Manchester United move
- 'Principle agreement': Manchester United could solve problem as surprise £10m talks held
- Now Manchester United could sign Erik ten Hag's most reliable player after De Jong move
- Star set to complete Manchester United move once £5m bonus dispute with club is sorted: Report
- Deal close: Manchester United hope to finalise £69m De Jong move by end of the week
- 'Watch Love Island instead': Six worst/funniest reviews left by Manchester United fans on Paul Pogba's documentary
- Report: 'Outstanding' 22-year-old talent is now all set to leave Manchester United on loan
- 'Already had contact': Club chiefs admit they have had transfer interest in reported Manchester United target
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked